Re[6]: The Good News about MPG...

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 12:14:41 EDT

Subject: Re: Re[4]: DML: The Good News about MPG...
Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at smtpout
Date: 10/21/98 1:47 AM

At 08:50 AM 10/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>My stats are as follows:
>>
>>'98 318 CC 4x4 Auto 3.55 gears... Best(highway): 14.93 MPG, Worst: 9.29
>>MPG, Average after 7,311 miles: 12.22 MPG. Engine mods: 180 Stat, FABM
>>10", JBA Headers.
>>
>>T.
>
><<93 Dak CC 5.2L 2wd auto 3.55 gears 87,000 miles... Best highway: 22.4 mpg,
>Worst (city): 12.2 mpg
>Average since I've owned it: 16-18 mpg(lots of city driving) Engine mods:
>MP SBEC, K&N FIPK, 180 stat, JBA's, Accell Super Electronic coil, Moroso
>Blue Max wires, Autolite Platnum plugs.
>
>And I have a heavy foot!>>
>
>All right! Now we're getting somewhere, thanks Brian.
>
>The big question now is, did you get this great mileage right off the lot
-or-
>did you notice a particularly big gain after a certain mod?
>
>Thanks again.
>
>T.

<<Got my truck used from the classifieds with 77,000 mi. He was up in
Abilene. Uh, when I drove it home, I had the worst gas mileage - don't
remember what it was right now. Popped on a K&N FIPK and the MP SBEC a
couple months apart. The K&N helped some. For some reason the SBEC helped,
too(a bit more than the K&N). Don't think it should have because I haulin'
butt all the time for the first month I had that. My gas mileage was better
- go figure?! I can get 20+mpg out of it at 85+mph sometimes....

But I conclude by saying your mileage should be better!! I'll try to help
you as best I can, if nothing else, I can just throw around some ideas.
What size tires do you have?

Brian>>

I've got the 31x10.5 Goodyears (stock)... With this SBEC you have to run higher
octane gas, no?

Thanks.

T.