Re: hey Andre Mauboussin

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 14:35:38 EDT

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Andre Mauboussin wrote:

> I'd be glad to help you any way I can. I don't know what year your truck is, but
> I think I can point you in the right direction. Here's a list of what I did with
> the resulting performance gains:

[...]
> I'm about to get inside the engine to make some big gains. I want to change the
> cam, port the heads, do intake mods and top it off with a little better flowing
> throttle body. This will cost $$$, but I should be putting out 350hp+ when I'm
> done. Good luck.

   Andre,

  Your mod list and gains are very similar to my own experiences. (Except I
don't have the pullies... yet.) I compute my horsepower from time to time
based on ETs and trap speeds... I take the numbers with a grain of salt
since they're only calculations and not actual measurements, but they
seem to be fairly accurate so far. When I ran my bone stock Dakota, the numbers
came out to be about 220HP (give or take 2-3hp), which is right where its
supposed to be. Since your mods are similar to mine and we're running about
the same, I would estimate that you're turning about 300hp right now. (Maybe a
bit less if you've got a regular cab.) Anyway, I've heard that heads, intake
and exhaust can be good for 70hp or so. I believe there are heads for mustangs
that will give 100hp gains all by themselves, so once you do all that I wouldn't
be surprised if you're reaching for 400 horsies. I'm planning to do the intake,
heads, and cam eventually too. (Along with a new valvetrain.) As you mentioned
above though, the big holdback is money. :-)
   Eventually, I hope to be churning out 500-600hp when the juice is
flowing. A daily driver club cab that can turn 11's would be pretty cool. :-)

                                              -Jon-