Non-DAK, but FYI beware

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gsc.gte.com)
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 16:14:41 EDT

This IS NOT a plug for my company. I'm just trying to alert my DML
companions to a phone scam you may or may not be aware of.
Rich - Ashburn, VA

I received a telephone call today from an individual identifying himself as
an AT&T Service Technician who was conducting a test on our telephone lines.
He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero (0), the
pound sign (#) and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 9 + 0+
#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line,
which allows them to place long distance telephone calls billed to your
phone number. I was further informed that this scam has been originating
from many of the local jails/prisons. I have also verified this information
with UCB Telecom Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic, GTE and NYNEX. Please
beware. DO NOT press 9 + 0 + # for ANYONE. The GTE Security Department
requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.