Re: Ignition

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 20:37:08 EDT

In a message dated 10/19/98 7:57:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ladysmithgwl@juno.com writes:

<< Here is my question for you fellow DMLer's. Since the consensus is that
 after market ignition systems decrease performance, has anyone upgraded
 the stock coil and plug wires? Did the replacement of the stock coil and
 plug wires IMPROVE performance? If so, what replacement parts did you
 use? >>

Yep did that to and to be perfectly honest I found NO improvement over stock.
I have MSD 8.5 wires and MSD blaster 3 coil which I run with the MSD 6A or
without but found no gain either seat of the pants or 1/4 mile times. Long
story but I bought the 6A and found the loss in performance so I went for the
coil and wires just to compliment the whole setup but really gained nothing. I
was told that I would gain nothing before I bought anything by a Speed shop
with a Dyno whom had tested them out, he told me it was a waste of money but
you know how the ads and Mag articles read, I had to have them :-). I got
them and have verified the results at the track and can and have repeated the
results time and again. Unless you are running high performance something
(like SC or Nitrous) then spend your hard earned dollars on something
worthwhile.

Bill