Re: RE: Jules...Gone...

From: John (kemkerj@xyzzy.net)
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 19:19:36 EDT

Andre Mauboussin wrote:
>>> Tons of really inane back and forth with Jules

Let me cut to the chase, here: Jules has apologized to DML and
all members for losing his temper and lashing out. Maybe we could
drop the thread?

In all fairness, I have seen people make changes to something and then
be disappointed because they *think* it got worse. Often, however, the
changes aren't at fault, but some other factor came into play. The
change, however, gets the blame. This occurs quite often in computers.
I remember many times where a change was made to a running system and
someone goes into knee-jerk reaction when one of their *TOTALLY
UNRELATED*
pieces of software goes bad right afterwards. The change, however
small and innocuous, gets the blame.

I think Jules mentioned that you need to make *all* the factors
consistent to get a good comparison. This is just plain scientific
method, as is taught in school. *Only* the items being compared
should change. Was there a temperature difference between before
and after? Did your racing friend actually get the truck on a
dyno? Did he use gasoline from the same company both times?
(I must admit, however, that gasoline varies widely, even at the
same gas station between refills of their tanks.) In other words,
are your friend's experiences based on any repeatable experiments,
or are they just anecdotal tales meant to make an emotional appeal
rather than a logical one?

You see, I don't doubt you and your friend saw his ET drop. What I'm
questioning is your assumptions that it was the MPI parts. One of
first things I learned from DML is that the onboard-computer *HAS*
to have time running with a new part for it to "self-tune" the
performance. In other words, you can modify the heck out
of the engine, but if you don't give the computer time to "learn"
your changes, it will probably perform *worse* than without the
mod.

This is not to excuse Jules for his behavior, but I think that
Jules has already realized it was non-productive. *If* you think
that you are better than Jules, then please show us all by being
gracious about his apology and quit filling up DML with a pi$$ing
contest. If you really need to bash Jules, be so kind as to do
it in private email.

--John K.
  (misses his '94 Dak SLT V8)