Re: RE:Drag Shifting?

From: N2mopars@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 24 1998 - 01:07:10 EDT

<< Uh, having just watched a show on modern "Top Fuel" dragsters, all three
 'cars' (if that's what you call them things) only had 1 (one) gear, there was
 no shifting at all. They just slipped an automatic clutch until the vehicles
 speed got up high enough to fully "catch". If the automatic clutch was set
 too tight it'd smoke the tires, too loose and you got a poor take off. They
 replaced the clutch after each race they could manage it. The driver
 controlled the slip as well by the throttle. Watching the video, the drivers
 usually started at about 3/4 throttle and pushed it up from there as the
 dragster rocketed down the track. (I don't think you can call a car like
this
 a "manual" since theres not shift at all)
    I'm certainly no expert on this, so if the show was wrong forgive me, but
 it all made sense the way it was set up. I do know that drag bikes have push
 button transmissions and they rocket through the gears so fast it's almost as
 fast as the driver can push the button.

 Shaun H. >>

But it still uses a clutch!

Brad