Re: Problems with engine code

From: V8dakLECC@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 24 1998 - 07:17:45 EDT

In a message dated 10/23/98 10:00:08 PM EST, DICEMAN469@aol.com writes:

<< Okay here's the situation: I got a terrific price on a stinger 150 amp
 alternator with adjustable regulator. I buy the thing and I installed it last
 night. It works wonders for my underpowered electrical system, but now the
 check engine light is on. The reason it's on is because there is a sensor
that
 is supposed to detect the field coil voltage on the alternator. Now that it
is
 regulated externally, I had to disconnect the sensor from the alternator and
 since it can't detect a voltage i'm getting a 41 diag code. I know what's
 causing it all I have to do is figure out how to trick the computer into
 thinking it has a good field coil voltage. Everytime I hook it into the
 alternator field coil it overrides the regulator and i get 18 volts output @
4
 grand.

 Now finally the question: Anyone have enough know-how about Dakota truck
 electrical systems to tell me what kind of signal this sensor may be looking
 for?? I have the wiring diagram but there is no hint of what voltage or what
 signal the thing is looking for. I really don't wanna have to drive around
 with that light on....

 Austin

 Vipertruck with an engine light >>

My Two Cents. That isn't a sensor, it is the field current output from the
PCM. ON our trucks, there is no voltage regulator. The alt. field come
directly from the PCM and it regualtes voltage. The PCM sees no current
flowing in the field and set the trouble code for the open field circuit. You
could find out what the normal field current is and place a load resistor of
appropriate ohms and watts across it. I'd check the FSM schematics for your
year model to verify any of this before proceeding - would not want to fry
your PCM.

BTW what is the reason for scrapping the stock alternator?

Richard Lewis
92 LE CC, 318, Auto