Re: Speed Limiter-the real reason

From: O26ON4@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 19:19:04 EST

<< Mopar SBEC (I'm betting) won't!,

     The reason the sppedlimiter is there in the first place is due to
 the fact of the speed rating on the stock tires. Most trucks are
 carying about a H speed rating on their tires so it would be a lawsuit
 (and a really bad accident) waiting to happen. If you for some reason
 plan on running from the police.....have someone custom burn you a new
 one. Don't look for the mainstream chips to take it out.

 Take Care,
 Steve

Steve,
IMO, you're half correct, I buy into the "why" but I strongly doubt many
accidents would occur because of a tire failure due to high speed. First, the
speed ratings are for "continuous duty" speed. I'll bet money very few on the
list would have the distance (or balls) to run a 117 mph rated tire to a
failure. Secondly, remember what I call the muscle car era, '64-'71? I've been
in several GTX 440 mag. cars along with other big block cars of the era on
bias ply tires, (even 2-plies, remember them?) at WOT for several miles and
never, never had a tire failure. For those of you not familiar with this time
period, the tires of the day were about as thick as a good bicycle tire today.
The real reason behind the speed limiter is CYA for the reason you stated
above - fear of law suits; but in reality, I can't imagine a H rated tire
failing and causing a "real bad accident" due solely to speed.
Just my .02
Steve in Houston