Re: VW vs DAK-reply

From: Jwilli941@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 03:41:55 EST

Michael Fleigle stated.......

<< A VW was never built to go off-road >>

What?? You've never heard of a Kubelcar and the Afrika Corps?

While I drive a '94 SLT CC 4X4 V6 (next time its a V8 for sure)
I do manage to keep myself quite busy building VW transaxles
for retail and wholesale customers. For a lot less money you
can custom build a Baja style Beetle that will take you just
about anywhere your Dakota will. My Dak was $13K used and
that was just for a 'base' SLT that would require extra work and
money to get really set up for off-road pounding. For that same
$13K I could have a Baja that would come with all the bells and
whistles like 12" of front suspension and 15" rear suspension
travel, almost 16" of clearance, a custom ratio gearbox with
all the bullet proof stuff I could use, and a 200 hp motor which
isn't bad considering it originally could have come with a 36 hp'er!
And that doesn't include the race seats, harness, roll cage, etc.!

I think you get the point.

Now if I could get the Baja to carry a half ton of sand, 4x8 sheets
of plywood, have A/C and cruise, and so on I'd have the best of
BOTH worlds! In the meantime if you need a transaxle for your
VW post me a note and I'll keep reading on what I can do with
my Dakota!

Todd Hill
VolksWerks Transaxles
Olympia, WA