Re: Re: VW vs DAK

From: Michael Fleigle (fleigle@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 02:58:16 EST

Apples vs oranges he says, if that is true that why do I always see on
here I spanked a nuespeed car or I spanked a honda civic (this was not
ment to start a flame war just using it as an example). A VW was never
built to go off-road and in my opinion trucks were never ment to race.
VW's were highly effecient little cars that were built ahead of there
time. Dakotas are highly effecient towing and hauling machines that are
being built ahead of there time. Now you see VW's transformed into drag
cars and off-road beasts and Dakotas either slamed to the ground or drag
racing mustangs. My baja isn't my soil/cow manure mover and my dakota
isn't my take it to the desert and tear the hell out of it truck. I do
love those Type 2 transporter trucks but you won't see me selling my dak
for one. Now one more thing, are you really sure that you don't wanna
ride. I never said I was wild just a little different. Your son must
be one heck of a driver to scare a retired dragster builder.

Fleg
93 Dakota
69 Baja bug
best of both worlds

----Original Message Follows----

Hey Fleg what's your point ....Apples vs oranges???

Put a ton of potting soil/cow manure in the back seat of your baja
and see how it ets or off roads.

My Dak was $13,400 when I bot it, it will carry 4 people and everything
needed for a college student to move back to her dorm. Try that with
your baja.

We put together a slant 6 dragster (10 years ago,I will admit) for less
than
$1000......it ran high 11.00's/low 12.00s and scared us right out of
doing that
 anymore.......

An option might be is to sell that Dak of yours and buy one of them VW
transporter pickups and meet us at the strip and impress the heck out of
us.

By the way, I am easily impressed.

On kind of the same point.......if GM ever got really serious, they
could
always drop one of their 454 (that they have on hand) into a S-10 and
really have us Dak owners crying in our beer or lone star....

We have run bugs,VW sand rails and slant six powered sand rails (a
retired
dragster project).

Your point about weight is very valid, our /6 rail was fun but the
weight penalty
of a water pumper is very evident against a light weight V-dub.

Also I personally don't need a wild baja driver to scare the crap out of
me,
my son does that every time I ride with him in our Dakota.

roblip
phoenix az