Re: Lowering Front 1-2"

From: Jim Dille (jdille@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 10:39:03 EST

Robert -
If you only want to drop yer Dak 1", REPLACE the springs with shorter,
stiffer ones. Don't just cut the coils down. For a 2" drop, replace
the spindles and keep the original springs. Replace the shocks with
units that are designed for a lowered truck. And after any front-end
work like this, always get it aligned.

I lowered my '93CC by 3" in front (springs, spindles, & shocks), 2" in
back (blocks & shocks). I used all Belltech stuff from Summit. It's
got 15x7" wheels with 235/60 tires installed. Once everything was in,
I had it aligned to spec (only the toe-in was affected).

The only trouble has been some rubbing and bottoming in the front. The
rubbing was due mainly to the wider tires. This was fixed by folding
the wheel-opening crimp over flat with a rubber mallet. The bottoming
was fixed by inserting some Mr. Gasket full-coil spring spacers that
increase the spring rate, but don't raise the ride height. Railroad
tracks are no longer a problem.

All this, along with a Belltech rear sway bar, have transformed the
Dak from just another grocery-getter into a go-kart! It's a ball to
drive and the ride is stiffer, but well-controlled and not at all
uncomfortable. Total cost was under $1000.

The suspension mods & tires on the Electric Blue truck are topped off
with a set of "Moon" style spun-aluminum hubcaps. Pretty tasty ... it
looks kinda like a retro Bonneville runner!

Have fun!
- Jim
  Cinci, OH

---Robert Trottmann <rotrottmann@davidson.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone lowered a 95 (or like year) 1 or 2 inches in the front?
What