Re: Latest News-- UPDATE!

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 11:49:19 EST

>I'm a little confused about why there seems to be a shortage of R/T's. Can
>someone explain to me why this is? Is it that they a limited quantity or is
>the price difference that great?

I think it's a bit of both . In 1998 , Chrysler claimed to have made 1700
Club Cabs and only 300 Regular Cab R/Ts . Of the ones that were sold , I
think that at least a few of them were snatched up and put into storage or
are driven very little .

For 1999 , I have heard varying numbers . First I heard 4000 total , then
4500 and even 5000 .

I think that the price is a bit prohibitive , and from what I have heard
here , they have a hold on at least Club Cabs , if not all R/Ts .

 It also had a mopar
>drop in bed liner. I think this was a mistake for them to put in. How many
>people want a drop in bed liner.
>
>The liners should be a customer chosen option.

I agree .

When I bought my 1998 R/T Club Cab , it had a drop-in liner already
installed .

The night I drove it home , it came out and as I suspected , it had chafed
the paint underneath alonng the top of the tailgate and where it wraps
around by the front of the box .

After I complained , I was told by the General Manager of Mike Patton Dodge
in LaGrange , GA that it was not their problem . I said "...you mean to
tell me that your dealership installed a piece of equipment that damaged
the paint and you are not willing to repair it?" , his answer was "Chrysler
strongly encourages us to install factory bed liners on all of our trucks
before sale . If you would have told us to remove the liner before you
drove off the lot , we would have fixed the scuffs in the paint."

Ya know , I got an estimate and it was like $50 to rub out all the
imperfections in the paint....kinda sad that a dealership is not willing to
spring for that much to keep a customer . I told him that I would never
send a customer his way as I had intended to do up until that point and
that no matter how I did it , whether it was by having them chase ghosts in
my truck or whatever , that I would get my $50 out of them..... ;) .

 The other thing that I
>noticed that didn't impress me was the dial for the lights rather than the
>old standby knob that I've always used.

They have a stalk-mounted light switch on the 99s ?

On my 1998 I have a traditional knob on the dash from the days of old.

I actually would have preferred a stalk mounted device . It would clean up
the appearence of the dash and it eliminates yet another thing to get
jabbed into your spleen or something if you have a front-end collision .

Jack Hilton III

Black 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Club Cab

Charter Pipeline......the Next Wave.....

HEMI@charter.net

http://www.mindspring.com/~hemi/jbd1.html