Re: Pinging

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 14:07:07 EST

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Richard A Pyburn wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:55:47 -0600 Dave Rench <renchd@krause.com> wrote:
>
> >Just a thought. With all of this talk about pinging...
>
> <snip>
>
> . If you have installed a Mopar Computer ...
>
> How can CC claim the problem is caused by the Mopar computer? "Yeah, we
> sell these things, but, hey, if you use 'em they'll screw up your engine
> big time." WTF? Why would Mopar offer a chip that was going to cause
> problems? IT's called a performance chip and I hope that's what it does -
> adds performance.

  Richard, I think what Dave was saying is that if you have the MP computer
or a Jet chip and you go in to the dealer complaining of pinging on 87 octane,
the Dodge Tech is just gonna point at it and say, "there's your problem".
Mopar Performance says that you have to run at least 92 octane with the MP
computer. (They even give you decals for the dash and the filler door.) Now,
if you get pinging with 92+ octane, that's another story...

  The MP PCM is a part of MP's Magnum R/T package, and everything in that
package can be used without affecting your warranty, I believe. (I'm not sure
wether or not it has to be installed by the dealer; I suppose the warranty
could be declared void due to an improper installation.)

                                              -Jon-