Pinging and MP Computer

From: Dave Rench (renchd@krause.com)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 18:34:31 EST

Jon was exactly right about what I was trying (with my usual success) to
say. Generally higher performance and lower octane don't go together. If
you are going to buy a computer (MP or not) or module to increase
performance through more aggressive timing, don't expect to run 87 octane
without pinging and as Jon says MP even tells you up front that this is the
case.

My second (somewhat hidden) point was that many of us are spending our
dollars for increased performance this way and if performance is what
you're after, you're probably heading in the wrong direction if you go in
to the dealer with this problem because the easy fix is to back off timing
which I believe they can do by reflashing your computer with a different
curve. On the other hand it could be an EGR problem or something else that
needs to be addressed.

I could be wrong about the reflashing above, but I thought I read in one of
the TSB's that was the prescribed resolution. If that is right, then what
prevents Mopar from issuing code for reflashing with parameters similar to
those in the MP computer and allowing dealers to reflash the stock
computers (for a price of course)? Okay I might be reaching a
little....but I'm T..I..R..E..D of waiting for a MP computer for my 2 year
old truck.

Dave Rench
97 V-8 RC SB Auto 3.55 SG