Re: Pinging and MP Computer

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 11:44:36 EST

Yes , this is a good point , but my concern would be that if it is indeed a
problem that is in the computer now , and yuo install a MOPAR SBEC later ,
when the MOPAR SBEC requires you to already run 92+ will that not be enough
if the problem is *not * in the factory SBEC ?

At 05:34 PM 10/27/1998 -0600, you wrote:
>Jon was exactly right about what I was trying (with my usual success) to
>say. Generally higher performance and lower octane don't go together. If
>you are going to buy a computer (MP or not) or module to increase
>performance through more aggressive timing, don't expect to run 87 octane
>without pinging and as Jon says MP even tells you up front that this is the
>case.
>
>My second (somewhat hidden) point was that many of us are spending our
>dollars for increased performance this way and if performance is what
>you're after, you're probably heading in the wrong direction if you go in
>to the dealer with this problem because the easy fix is to back off timing
>which I believe they can do by reflashing your computer with a different
>curve. On the other hand it could be an EGR problem or something else that
>needs to be addressed.
>
>I could be wrong about the reflashing above, but I thought I read in one of
>the TSB's that was the prescribed resolution. If that is right, then what
>prevents Mopar from issuing code for reflashing with parameters similar to
>those in the MP computer and allowing dealers to reflash the stock
>computers (for a price of course)? Okay I might be reaching a
>little....but I'm T..I..R..E..D of waiting for a MP computer for my 2 year
>old truck.
>
>Dave Rench
>97 V-8 RC SB Auto 3.55 SG

Jack Hilton III

Black 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Club Cab

Charter Pipeline......the Next Wave.....

HEMI@charter.net

http://www.mindspring.com/~hemi/jbd1.html