Re: 44RE, 46RE, 47RE

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Thu Oct 29 1998 - 16:52:07 EST

>Yes the 46 re will bolt up but make sure you get one for the same year so
the
>electrical connections will be the same. You may have a length problem, I
think
>the 46 is a little longer, but you can have the drive shaft shortened also
the
>out put shaft is larger on the 46 than the 44 so you will need a new yoak.
You
>shouldn't have a problem with the pcm either. The first gear in the 44's
are
>2.74 and the 46's are 2.54 ( i think ).
>You don't want the 47. It is a very large heavy truck trany I think it is
>called the A 640.
>Look at my post on the Transgo valve body kit.

<snip>
>> Is the 46RE a drop in replacement, does it have the same bolt pattern,
are
>> gear ratios the same, is it the same length, will it wire up the same,
will
>> the PCM like it?
>>
>> I think I read that there is a 47 model tranny? Same questions as
before?
<snip>

The 47RE is used in the 2500/3500 trucks and is what they put behind the V10
and Cummins. It's not that much larger, in fact I have heard it uses the
same case size, just more reinforcement ribs on the outside.... I do think
that it's overkill, however.. it's designed for 450+ lbs ft of torque and
towing 20,000 GCWR (truck & trailer).... for something as light as a DAK,
the 46RE should be plenty stout enough.. There's people running these behind
blown 360's in Ram 1500s with no problems... it's torque and weight that
kills autos fast... if you don't put a heavy load on them, they don't heat
up...