Re: RE:TBI's & CFM's

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 29 1998 - 17:09:43 EST

At 10:39 AM 10/29/98 -0800, you wrote:
> Well, maybe if you could take an empirical measurement somehow. You might
>be calculating till the cows come home if you try and get an exact
>mathematical formula. If you could hook up some kind of graduated (non
>resistive) piston to the intake side of the cylinder (outside of the head) and
>rotate the crank 1 time to see how much air it sucked in, I suppose that would
>at least put you in the ballpark. It'd be basic math beyond that...
>
>Shaun H.

   How about sealing off the TB to an airtight "box"? The only way for
air to get into the airtight box is through several metered valves...
The engine should create a vacuum in the box, which would pull air through
the valves. At each valve would be some sort of flow sensor. Bring the
engine up to RPM, reset the sensors, wait one minute, and then take the
readings from the sensors, and convert to cubic feet, if nescessary.

  I think that would give you an exact (or pretty darn close) CFM
measurement. The trick is to make sure you have more than enough valves;
they'd have to flow more than the engine or they would become the limiting
factor.

                                               -Jon-