Breathing easier (was Air Inlet)

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 11:44:20 EST

An opinion...
   I feel this is true with non-smooth bore tube systems. The turbulence
created by the tube itself becomes the air's own worst enemy (reciprocating
pressure waves look real neat under particle scopes and are hell on airflow).
The best possible tube solution would be a hard, large diameter, smooth walled
(polished) tube with gentle bends and a "honeycomb" laminar flow enducer at
the entrance to the bore ( This could even be made into an air filter) and a
reduction/compression venturi right before the TB. The idea is that Laminar
Flow air moves smoothly around obstacles and such because it is all moving the
same direction. It would move right around the TB's butterfly valves more
smoothly than even the 14" FIPK and with a slight compression velocity factor
'slamming' into the cylinder causing a very slight increase in compression
ratio (what it would be, would have to be determined: I don't know, it would
just be very slight). At Higher RPM's (steady air draw) the Laminar Flow
system would provide smoother air to the engine, but at lower RPM's the 14"
FIPK would probably be superior due to the "immediate" availability of the air
that Jules is talking about (the tube would have to pressurize). If I were a
drag racer I'd want the FIPK, but if I ran my Dak around at high speeds or
towed a lot (High RPM's at speed, under load), I'd want a Laminar Flow system.
   The entire problem is, nobody makes such a system and it would require some
wind tunnel time, and hard experimenting with an engine to get it exact for
each TB setup. If anyone were to attempt to do this kind of thing, I'd
recommend making a matching TB as part of the whole deal, maybe even an
optimizing intake manifold. You'd be talking a $1000 for such a setup.
   So what it comes down to is what you really want and how much you are
willing to pay. For the person that just want's something better than the
factory suck box, a $20-$50 homemade "Dryer Vent" solution is fine, but if you
want to get even more power, I'll agree with Jules, the 14" FIPK is probably
the best of today's options (especially combined with a Ram Air Hood).

Shaun H.