Re: RE: vustom vade valve vovers ?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 13:57:08 EST

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Bridges, Bruce wrote:

> Jack,
> You gotta start with one big piece of aluminum if your going to "just
> machine them"... A casting (sand casting) would probably be the best way to
> start, but still development and tools are expensive propositions. Didnt
> someone on the list put a set of non magnum covers on their magnum without
> spewing? If that works, then a set of "clean" non magnum al covers could be

  Yep, Sean Meldrum did that. I've got some pics of the covers installed
on his truck along with a short description of whats involved. I'm
planning to post that info up on the "mods" section of the DML Home Page.
I guess I'd better get hoppin'! :-)

> machined with the R/T logo etc. for a nominal price (60$/hr usual going
> rate). I was starting to do some design work on the R/T logo wheel center
> caps, but bogged at work and figured TBs are going to keep me more than busy
> for a while! TBs=30hp, valve covers=? guess you know my priorities... Now

  Yep, I hear ya! :-) Now, if you needed some extra clearance for
some roller rockers and a cam change, well, that's another story!! ;-)
I'm planning on doing valve covers eventually, but I'm busy with
HP producing stuff at the moment. I'll probably change 'em out when
I upgrade the rockers.

> how about a 9th injector plate for under the TB...and some circuitry to
> drive it @ WOT.... Jon???

  You mean to counter a lean condition due to a bigger TB? Yep, that
might work. One option that seems like it would work nicely is to
use a few NOS bits and pieces. I think NOS sells plates that fit between
the TB and the intake which have either a spray bar or nozzles in 'em.
Get one of those, a NOS fuel solenoid, the proper fuel jet, some extra
fuel line, and I think you'd be in business. Oops, you'd also need
their WOT switch. (All that stuff would probably would cost more
than simply installing another injector though.)

  If you used a fuel injector instead, that would probably make it
easier to allow you to adjust the mixture by hand, whereas your only
control with the NOS setup is the jet size, but it has the disadvantage
of requiring you to do a little more fabricating. (It might be possible
to use a prefab TB spacer and just tap an injector thread in it.)

  The biggest question I have about both of the above is where to
get the fuel, and what about the pressure? If the fuel pressure remains
constant, that'll help as far as control goes. (That is, trying to
maintain a certain mixture with a variable fuel pressure could be
interesting). But... will adding an extra injector or a nozzle decrease
the overall fuel pressure, thus leaning out the other injectors
resulting in a net change of 0 at WOT? Another issue with the plate method
is underhood clearance. If its already tight, a plate might cause a problem.
Probably would be a good idea to use the MP MPI Magnum intake with this
setup due to the wet setup and also because it isn't as tall as the stock
intake; that would allow you use a plate, or you might even be able to drill
into the TB adapter that comes with it...

                                              -Jon-