Re: Was no Reg. test-rained out

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 13:54:33 EST

>Anyway, my biggest gripe is, How can a motor that displaces 360 ci be only
a few ponies >more than a 318.
Because the 5.9L is tuned for lower RPM torque... the torque comes in
sooner, and the peak torque is higher, but at a lower RPM... which results
in less HP gain.

>Not to mention the rest of the BIG 3,they seem to be makeing more with
>less. I believe Z-28's are up to 320 HP(SS) on a 350 while Ford is makeing
about 330 >HP also with a 4.9L(Cobra).
The 5.9L is a TRUCK engine... it does not go in any car... only trucks &
SUV's... so it is built for bottom end torque... this is what you need for
towing and getting a 4x4 through the muck. If you want to build serious HP,
you have to move the torque peak up to higher RPMs... cars can get away with
this, but it would hurt a 4x4's ability to crawl. IMHO, they should use a
different tune on the 5.9L on the Ram SS/T and Dakota R/T, since the main
purpose of these trucks is slightly different... but they are using the SAME
5.9L as they put in my 4X4 Quad Cab...

>Once again I ask ,WHERE is the power hiding in the 360 and why does
Chrysler continue >to ignore developement of HP.
Chrysler does not ignore development of HP, they just don't put their best
in stock vehicles... (I can't answer why for sure... CAFE? EPA?) They do
have the Magnum R/T package (not to be confused with Dakota R/T package)
which consists of headers, cat-back, cam & computer... although it takes a
while for them to be tested with each model year. They also have a 360
crate motor that makes 380 HP... with a Holley 750... I'd love to see an
integration kit to drop this long block in to a late-model truck with
whatever computer and/or injector changes are required. But it would not
have the bottom end torque that the stock motor has... which would be fine
for Ram SS/T and Dakota R/T owners, probably.

Gary Shook