[Fwd: [Fwd: ]]R/T lighter?

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 17:50:26 EST

Whoa, I just read all the post in the scroll, Who said the R/T was
lighter. I wish. It weighs 3930 lbs. by the scales at Texas Motorplex.
What does a standard 318 Dakota weigh? Tate? Anyone? Alan S.

attached mail follows:

Your post reads, "If you want more horsepower, buy the v 10", the very
last line. True? If only it were available like the "Copperhead" concept
Dakota. I would have paid extra for an option like that. Alan s.

attached mail follows:

>To start with, the R/T wasn't offered with a v-10, I wish it had been,
in fact that's what my gripe is, the R/T is woefully underpowered for
something that's supposed to be fast. You're right about the 360 being a
"truck" engine, once again my point, if a 318 is as fast and as reliable
as a 360, why bother even produceing both of them. They are, after all,
the same motor with different bore and stroke, amounting to little boost
in hp or any thing else.
> Alan S.
Alan:

If you re-read my previous post, you'll see I didn't say that a V10 was offered in a R/T. The 360 is the base engine for the 3/4 ton RAM 250. Since it's almost the same size/weight as the 318, you can put it in the R/T and get a couple more hp cheap. There never has been much of hp difference (about 20) between the 318 and the 360. Since my 97 (318) isn't underpowered, I don't see how a much lighter R/T can be underpowered with a 360. It is a TRUCK engine. Look at what you can tow with these engines...especially the 360 in a RAM 250.

I guess if you need a hi-perforance sports car, an R/T isn't for you.

Sam
97 SLT Clubcab 4x4 V8