Re: More Powerful Motors

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 19:29:01 EST

At 01:51 PM 11/4/98 -0800, you wrote:
> I think this is quite amusing. The "motor" of the future is not dependent
>upon cams, cranks, timing, lift.... or for that matter, internal combustion.

  <shudder> Say it ain't so! Mebbe I should start stockpiling engines for
the future. :-)

>Electric motors already are capable of turning more horsepower (accurately at
>that) more controllably than any IC engine of comparable weight. I've read
>about 50lb motors turning over 150hp. Imagine 4 of those coupled to each
>wheel of your Dak and a small 800cc engine turning a generator to power them.
>Chrysler already had a diesel/electric Intrepid at the Anaheim Auto Show, and
>I was dissappointed to hear that they have "NO PLANS" to actually make such a
>car, even though it got 70mpg and was just as powerful as the current
>Intrepid: to which I say "Why not you idiots!???" I get so pissed when the
>car mfg's whine and moan about the CAFE <sp?> standards they have to follow
>and when they find a solution they don't want to do it.

(Uh oh, I feel another flame war coming...) ;-)

  First of all, let me admit right off the bat that I know next to nothing
  about electric cars.

  Second, I think electric cars suck. :-)

   The engines may be powerful, but the batteries required are so heavy
that they more than overwhelm any extra power. I'm not familiar with the
diesel generator concept you mentioned above; maybe they've solved this
problem. I assume the above car has no batteries? On a related note,
recharging the batteries seems like a huge hassle. Where I live, I'd be
surprised if there was a gas station with electric charging capabilities
within 300 miles. (Again, maybe that diesel generator solves the problem?)

   The biggest problem with electric cars as I see it is the cost. I
don't want to spend $100,000 on a vehicle with the power of a Honda
Civic. A huge monkey-wrench is the government and their stupid manadates.
They're trying to force these vehicles on the public rather than allowing
technology to run its course. They should just sit back and let it
happen. Personally, I'm glad Chrysler decided not to produce it. From
what I can see, there is a lot more research to be done on this subject.

   Finally, a couple of completely irrational reasons. :-) The whir
of electric motors or the lope of a big cam through a free flowing
exhaust? No contest. Also, a small part of me is against buying an
electric car just to spite the enviro-nazis. ;-) (Hey, I said they
were irrational!) :-)

                                               -Jon-