Re: More Powerful Motors

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 15:57:22 EST

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Mike Crumley wrote:

> At 06:29 PM 11/4/98 , you wrote:
>
> > First of all, let me admit right off the bat that I know next to nothing
> > about electric cars.
> >
> > Second, I think electric cars suck. :-)
>
> Well, just as long as you're basing your "opinion" on good solid research :-)

  But of course... You've gotta do your homework! ;-)

> >A huge monkey-wrench is the government and their stupid manadates.
> >They're trying to force these vehicles on the public rather than allowing
> >technology to run its course.
>
> Oh no you don't. You're not dragging me into another on of *these*
> discussions :-) (this time) :-)

  Dang. ;-)

> >Personally, I'm glad Chrysler decided not to produce it. From
> >what I can see, there is a lot more research to be done on this subject.
>
> Actually, this is the way train locomotives have been powered for decades.
> The drive wheels are driven by electric motors, powered by generators,
> turned by diesel motors.

  See, I'm learning already. :-)

> > Finally, a couple of completely irrational reasons. :-) The whir
> >of electric motors or the lope of a big cam through a free flowing
> >exhaust? No contest.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Also, a small part of me is against buying an
> >electric car just to spite the enviro-nazis. ;-)
>
> Are you *sure* it's just a small part? :-) I can see it now "Here lies
> Jon. He died from the pollution, but boy did he have a big smile on his face."

   Ok, I may have understated it slightly... ;-)

  Tell ya what, I'll convert my Dak to electric, but instead of a diesel
generator, I'm gonna use a HEMI. ;-)

  PS: Thanks to everyone for the electric and hybrid info; I know more
now than I did before. It does sound like a very interesting field, but
I'm not quite ready to give in to it just yet... I also still feel that the
gov't should keep their noses out of it though. IMHO, if a technology is good
enough, it'll come into the mainstream on its own, no matter how big the
opposition is. If its good enough, someone is going to start using it,
it'll blow everything else off the road, and the general public will
start to say "why don't the auto manufacturers build something like that?"
At that point, the first auto manufacturer who does offer it will be in
a prime position; all the others will be forced to follow suit or miss
out on that market segment.

  Speaking of performance; are there any performance electric and/or
hybrid vehicles yet, or has the sole concern just been emissions so far? How
soon before we start to see hybrid dragsters doing the 1/4 in 2 seconds? :-)

                                              -Jon-