318/360

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 19:00:39 EST

>Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:04:06 -6
>From: "|< R |>" <krp@netnitco.net>
>Subject: Re: DML: 318/360
>
>> Could it be because the 318/360's are TRUCK engines designed for long life
>> and durability under heavy loads? Whereas you're comparing them to
>> performance car engines. Even in the 'olden days' (60's, 70's) the 360 was
>> never a performance engines. There was the 340 and 383.

>Those engines were gone when the 360 came along (as the
>replacement for the 340). The 360 was the performance small block
>after the 340 was gone ('74 model year I believe the 360 was born).

>|{eith R. Phelps

A few years ago, when I had a 360 (from a '77 Cordoba) built up as a
propane engine for my 3/4 ton (same 360), the mechanics went looking for
performance parts ... ie. higher octane fuel, higher compression, more hp.
They couldn't find anything for the 360, so they used pistons designated
for the 340 and a RV cam, amoung the other modifications that they do for
propane. Truck was quite perky and towed a trailer well.
The guy that's got it now is very happy with it.

In the late '70s, if you needed hp to tow something big you got a 400 or
440. I think by the time the 360 cam along, pollution controls were firmly
in place and it was introduced for pollution, rather than performance.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada