360

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 08:12:40 EST

>I 'believe' the 360 was the largest Dodge truck engine available right
>through the 80's. The 400/440 was discontinued somewhere around 1979.

>But, I'm not going to dispute your facts on the DML because Dodge didn't
>sell a whole bunch of trucks in the 80's and only later when the Cummins
>became available.

I had been reading the posts about 318/360 the past few
days and it seemed to me that some may have had a bit
too high expectations from the 360.

The intent of my post was to give a brief summary
of the 360 itself. Most of the information was from the
Chrysler Engines Volume One 1995 (the magnums) and Direct
Connection's Mighty Mopars 1960-74 (carbed 360).

As for myself personally, I was vaguely aware of
the 360 during the 70's and my first 'non-car' was
a 1978 B100 van which I customized and swapped the
318 with a '69 340. (Still have it.)

What is a shame is that the full potential of the 360,
whether for cars or trucks ,has never been tapped by Chrysler
because of emission control restrictions.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 auto., flame red
Gibson duals, KN dropin
Coloured-keyed grille guard, running boards
  and hard tonneau cover
Deflectors, grille insert
AR-211 rims