Re: RT Modifications

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 17:44:29 EST

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Dana wrote:

> I recently purchased a 99RT RC (sold my 95 F150, it was a slug even with =
> a 5.0). This has got to be the best truck I have ever owned (every other =
> truck has been slow Fords), but I have found in the last couple of weeks =
> that performance parts for=20
> these trucks is really lacking. What I want to do is:
> 1.) Get some aluminum cylinder heads=20
> 2.) Headers=20
> 3.) A better Throttle Body=20
> 4.) Updated performance computer=20
> 5.) A better Intake =20
> 6.) High Stall Torque Converter =20
> 7.) Shift kit for Transmission=20
> (I wanted a performance 5 or 6 speed Manuel transmission, but instead I =
> paid $950 for a auto transmission I didn't want)

   Yep, now you know what its like to own a Mopar! :-) Parts that
cost twice as much (when they exist at all), spending hours fabricating
your own stuff... :-) We're definitely the underdogs of the automotive
world.

  As far as your list goes, I am not aware of any aluminum cylinder
heads, or any heads at all for that matter. (except for the $900 a
pop heads sold by Mopar Performance) Headers aren't a problem,
there are several options available, including JBA, Mopar Performance
(Doug Thorley / Leach). Magnum Performance makes several high
performance throttle bodies. There is also currently an offer by a
couple of DMLers who are machining TBs for us, or you could do what
many of us have done and port your own. An intake is on the verge of
being released by Mopar Performance. I don't know about the
tranny stuff since I've got a 5-speed, but I think at least
a shift kit is available.
  As far as the auto tranny goes, I feel your pain. :-) It
might be possible to swap it out for a Richmond 6-speed or an
NV3500, but I have no idea what might be involved.

                                              -Jon-