Re: Drag Racing

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 14:14:26 EST

>I used to live in Vancouver, Canada and race at about sea level. My 'vette
ran
>low/mid 12's at the track there. I recently moved to Calgary (about 3000')
and it
>ran about a second slower on average. I hate altitude
>Dak Content = When I race my R/T it will be about a second slower than in
>Vancouver.

And 3000' is not that bad... I don't think any part of Colorado is that
low... (I could be wrong) where I'm at it's more like 6000'-7000'... In
fact, our gas here starts at 85 octane, not 87 (altitude reduces octane
requirements).

The only thing that doesn't lose a bunch of power here is turbo-equipped
vehicles... depending on how they're engineered... if they really use the
wastegate at sea-level they'll only lose a little power here, but the
wastegate will open alot less... maybe I should've gotten the Cummins?

I bought my truck in Phoenix, and travel back there every once in a while...
there's a tremendous amount of power I pick up when I get there... I also
have an '88 'Zuki Samurai... I've considered putting a turbo on that...
since I now put my foot in it and leave it there to maintain highway speeds!

Gary Shook