RE: EGR Attn. Eric & William

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 13:50:03 EST

Damn !

Frank's brain strikes again . :)

I thought I loved MoPars and cars in general , but I guess some of you guys
live , breathe , eat , and sleep this stuff !

I think the next question that Frank answers should be the Daily Double !

I think it's great that you guys are here !

At 09:21 AM 11/10/1998 -0800, you wrote:
>Eric & William.
>I don't know if my earlier post made it to the DML (I didn't see it) so I
>will send it again. The 95's definitely have an EGR system. It is located at
>the rear of the intake
>manifold, on the passenger side. My 98 does not have an EGR system. Take a
>look on your trucks to see if you have it but I wouldn't block it off.
>The introduction of exhaust (inert gasses) into the intake slows the
>fuel/air burn process causing the combustion temperature to be lower. The
>lower combustion
>temp. reduces NOx. We sacrifice a little bit of performance and gas mileage
>for this reduction. Someone asked earlier of we could just bypass the EGR
>for performance gains. Unfortunately we can't because the computer does test
>the EGR system occasionally. The computer under certain conditions will
>cycle the EGR
>valve and look for a change at the O2 sensor, if a change is not seen, then
>you get an error code. Dodge will not tell you exactly what conditions
>trigger this test, but
>it is documented in the service manuals (95 for sure). Hope this helps.....
>
> Frank

Jack Hilton III

Black 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Club Cab

Charter Pipeline......the Next Wave.....

HEMI@charter.net

http://www.mindspring.com/~hemi/jbd1.html