Re: Trans cooler ?

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 19:50:42 EST

> > how will my 160 T-stat affect the trans? Thanks for the help.
> The stock cooler(radiator tank)works fine. The extra cooling from the factory
> is located between the radiator and A/C condenser.

> The 160 stat shouldn't hurt the tranny. But I still don't understand why a
> lot of members use this instead of the 180 stat. After all, the whole idea
> behind the 180 stat is to trick the SBEC into thinking the engine is still
> cold, so it will deliver more fuel. The SBEC will only increase fuel delivery
> up to the point of 180. At 160, I would think that there would be excessive
> emission or something.
> Gene

The 180 stat may indeed cause enrichment but in some veichles it also causes
timing retard therefore reducing pinning but maybe not helping make more power.
Use of the 160 on low compression engines may cause harm because piston fit
clearances are looser possible encouraging oil consumption and will most probably
lead to sludge buildup in the oil and condensation in the crankcase also which is
never good for the engine. Talk with some experts that know exactly what the
colder temps do in the Daks computer. I also think 180 is as cold as you will
ever want to go unless you live where the outside temperature stays over 100 all
the time.
Jim in Waco
99 R/T