Re: slush-o-matic

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 20:15:51 EST

>I've done no mods to the tranny (shift kit in near future) save for
>Mobil 1 synth. I have changed from the stock 235.75.15 tires to
>30x9.50, but this shouldn't account for almost 10mph difference at
>shifting speed.
>
>I'm thinking part is due to +\- normal wear and tear, but would the
>synth fluid tend to let parts slip more easily producing slower shift
>speeds? The first fluid change was at ~25,000mi going from mamopar
>brand to the mobil 1 and changed again last week at ~ 55,000mi.

Change out that Mobil 1 NOW!
It's good fluid.. for a Chebby transmission... it is not 7176 compatible...
Chrysler transmissions are VERY particular about this.. I think Amsoil makes
a synthetic 7176 fluid, but I know Quaker State makes an ATF+3 that is
compatible... or go to the dealer and get 7176 ATF +3.. I believe this is
semi-synthetic.

>Lastly, where can I get a shift kit for this thing (46RE)? Local
>boneheads at the dealer claims he dosn't know what a shift kit is, and
>that I must be on crack.

Transgo makes the only one I know of... you can get them from Summit Racing.
Try asking your dealer if he has ever heard of a Chrysler department known
as Mopar Performance? They used to be called Direct Connection, if he's
really old...
I believe the Mopar Performance Shift kit IS the Transgo kit...

Gary Shook