Re: Pictures of Lowered Dak's (attn: Gary)

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 14:14:27 EST

Gary Pinkley wrote:

> I remember Bob Mankin (I think) talking about his
> dropped a-arm install. He noted that the pocket was
> lower than his rim line on the stock 15" wheels. Which,
> unfortunately, is technically illegal.

Gary,

This is probably due to the lowered coils I used. A little too much drop
for the stock wheels. Not only "technically illegal", but dangerous if
you have a tire go down. Most of the lowering coils currently available
are a "one size fits all" mentality. That is, use them on a V6 truck,
get a certain amount of drop, then the V8 or Club models end up with
more drop. Pretty piss poor approach IMO, because I think they use
spring rates better suited to the V6 truck.

Just waitin' for you guys to let loose with those spring kits<grin>.
Think you're going to have a spring that will work in concert with the
lowered A arms? I'm looking for something 1" lower than stock with
slightly higher spring rate. I think you mentioned 20% which should be
ideal.

It's either your new pieces or I'm going to have to search out a custom
spring shop to make me up a set. With the holidays coming, new wheels
are not in my immediate future. That makes fixing the current setup all
the more urgent for me.

Bob