Re: Real Dakotas

From: RMerullo (merullo@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 14:06:20 EST

Hello DML

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Agnew <ragnew@islandnet.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Thursday, November 12, 1998 12:48 PM
Subject: DML: Real Dakotas

>>From: RMerullo <merullo@ix.netcom.com>
>>I doubt that there is much difference (probably none, actually) in
>speed
>>between old and new Dakotas, but all you have to do is park one of
>
>>The new Dakotas look great, but I never thought that the old ones
>were
>>unappealing either. In my opinion, the superficial makeover
>probably wasnt
>>quite worth losing those few inches of room. Now the superior new
>>instrument clusters and climate controls, that's a different story...
>

>If CC and the trade magazines that I have seen can be believed, the
>97+ Dakota has significant engineering improvements over the pre 97
>models and was not simply a cosmetic make-over.

Well, I for one would be interested in what those improvements were, not
just academically, but because someday I aspire to be on the truck market
again. I actually did that parking side-by-side thing for just that reason,
as well as a little bit of sheer curiosity. I recall reading somewhere that
the new cabs are much more sound-proof, but honest-to-goodness that is the
only improvement that I recall reading.

>Kinda like the improvements made in the full size RAM from from 93 to
>94. Certainly, locally there is a big different in resale value
>between the 96 and 97 model years.

Well, I am not too familiar with Ram spec.'s, neither pre-1994 nor later,
except the obvious things, like the awesome sheetmetal and the availability
of the 8.0 liter V10. In the case of Dakota R/T's, I understand that the
truck is lower, and I was under the impression that it had other suspension
improvements, like additional anti-sway bar(s), but I could be wrong. What
did they change, though, for other Dakotas, in terms of
drivetrain/suspension?

As for the difference in resale value, that could probably as well be
ascribed to the difference in age of the vehicles as to anything else.
Certainly, it doesnt tell me that there is anything substantially better
about one or the other. For example, look how much people are willing to
spend on luxory models.