Re: Gas Mileage or lack of...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 22:22:01 EST

At 05:42 PM 11/13/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Ok, I have mentioned this before and got no response.
>
>I am getting 18 mpg on my truck in the *small* city and 20 on a long trip on
>the highway...my sticker tells me I should be getting 20/25 - least I think
>it does. Why would I be getting such bad gas mileage? Or is it all that
>bad? I'm having a hard time adjusting from my Shadow of 32 mpg to this
>truck in the first place, but if something is wrong, I wanna know cause I
>keep looking in my pocket and it's empty...can't even go see a movie since I
>bought this damn thing. I have to put gas in it like 3 times in two weeks.

  I usually fill up once a week... :-) My last fill up was 13mpg.
You do have a 4-cyl, but 18 is pretty decent. It'll get better as
it breaks in. One thing you might want to check on is your
driving style. If you're really concerned with gas mileage, then
shift when the shift light tells you to, go easy on the throttle,
etc.

   Speaking of gas mileage, here's an ironic little twist. I usually
get about 15mpg. After I put on my JBA headers, I got 17mpg, almost 18.
However, the last few fill ups, I've been getting about 13-14mpg. I was
confused at first, but the answer is pretty funny... I'm getting worse gas
mileage because I'm not going to the drag strip anymore! :-) The strip
closed down for the season, so that eliminated my 85 mile weekly trek. Now,
the only driving I do is short 15 minute commutes from home to work. Ok,
maybe that's not funny, but I found it kind of interesting that I get better
gas milage when I'm racing it regularly. :-)

                                               -Jon-