Re: Gas Mileage or lack of...

From: Mike Styer (mstyer@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 23:23:13 EST

Jon Steiger wrote:

> At 05:42 PM 11/13/98 -0800, you wrote:
> >Ok, I have mentioned this before and got no response.
> >
> >I am getting 18 mpg on my truck in the *small* city and 20 on a long trip on
> >the highway...my sticker tells me I should be getting 20/25 - least I think
> >it does. Why would I be getting such bad gas mileage? Or is it all that
> >bad? I'm having a hard time adjusting from my Shadow of 32 mpg to this
> >truck in the first place, but if something is wrong, I wanna know cause I
> >keep looking in my pocket and it's empty...can't even go see a movie since I
> >bought this damn thing. I have to put gas in it like 3 times in two weeks.
> >

> I usually fill up once a week... :-) My last fill up was 13mpg.
> You do have a 4-cyl, but 18 is pretty decent. It'll get better as
> it breaks in. One thing you might want to check on is your
> driving style. If you're really concerned with gas mileage, then
> shift when the shift light tells you to, go easy on the throttle,
> etc.

Sounds stupid but check the air pressure in your tires. I was always
told to and did check, but I've been forgetting to the past month or
so. Took a trip to FL this past weekend and was perplexed about my
mileage being 18-19 highway. Got home and checked the tires (right rear
was 20 psi, left rear 10 psi -shame on me:, filled em up, and now I'm
back to my normal 20-20 mpg.

Mike S.
1993 Vroom6 5-speed CC