Re: DML:Gas Mileage or lack of...

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 22:38:12 EST

> Give it some time to break in it'll get better....
> BTW I've been getting 8mpg lately since i let it warm up in the morning for
> a few minutes and never drive more than a mile at a time...
> Ok, I have mentioned this before and got no response.
> I am getting 18 mpg on my truck in the *small* city and 20 on a long trip
> the highway...my sticker tells me I should be getting 20/25 - least I think
> >it does. Why would I be getting such bad gas mileage? Or is it all that
> >bad? I'm having a hard time adjusting from my Shadow of 32 mpg to this
> >truck in the first place, but if something is wrong, I wanna know cause I
> keep looking in my pocket and it's empty...can't even go see a movie since
> bought this damn thing. I have to put gas in it like 3 times in two weeks.
> I keep reminding myself that I got the greatest truck made to ease my
> >mind...
> >Heather
> >98 Dak Sport 4cyl 5spd
> >Intensely Bluetiful
> >San Marcos, Tx

Dear Heather, you must remember several things when you compare a Dak to a
Shadow.
First the Dak probably weighs nearly 1000 pounds more than a shadow and it takes
more gas to move all that weight.
Next the aerodynamics aren't as good either so you catch more wind on the
highway.
Also the city estimate does NOT take into consideration stopping for lights,
stop signs and warming up the engine before driving. So that figure will be the
hardest to achieve. Although my R/T is rated 12/17 and I typically get
11.4/17.2 but the highway figure wont be that good if I drive over 60 mph.
I don't know how fast you drive on the highway but if you go over 60 the mileage
will drop fast, even on a 4 cyl truck. I'll bet at a steady 55 mph on level
ground with no headwind you would get close to the 25 mph highway figure. My 98
Sport 318 would get 20 at 55 mph and my 99 R/T will get close to 19.
Jim in Waco
99 R/T RC
Dakshak Amateur radio station
Texas radio operator plates!