Mike Leach Co. Group Header Purchase (Long but worth it)

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Mon Nov 16 1998 - 21:51:57 EST

purchase on their headers. As most if not all of you know, they are the
folks that manufacture the headers for Mopar Performance. Their headers are
a Tri-Y configuration and are very close if not the same as the Doug Thorley
units that so many people are very fond of. They are a long tube design and
include a new set of down tubes that you will use to connect the headers to
the cat. converter.
    This is the info that I have right now. They produce headers for Mopar's
truck division for 94-99 model years. They do not make anything for 6
cylinder trucks with the exception of the Jeep 4.0L 6 cylinder. Sorry to
those with 3.9L V6's out there. Looks like you got skipped again. For those
of you with the 2.5L 4 banger, there is hope, though very slim. They made 9
sets of headers for the 2.5 several years ago and shipped them to Mopar. He
has not had a single request for them since. Mike said that in order for him
to make headers for the 2.5 again, that he will have to have 24 orders or he
will not do them. I'm not sure if we can get 24 people committed, but to
those of you that know people with that engine, now is the time to hark on
them to get headers. For those of us with the V8, (5.2 and 5.9), he makes
those all the time. He said that he even makes them for the 8.0L V10. Those
with that brute who are looking for headers and do not want to shell out
what Borla is charging may be in luck here. These headers are mild steel
with a Nickel plating on them. He can deliver them to you unplated if you
like so you will not have to pay someone like Jet Hot or HPC to strip them
before ceramic coating if that is the way you want to go.
    Mark Mullen has volunteered to keep track of what everyone wants and is
currently building a list of those that want in on this, and what
configuration their truck is. Mark, I would also like to ask that you get on
both the Durango and Jeep mailing lists and spread the word. The more people
that are in on this, the better deal we should be able to get. As you folks
can see from this letter, I am already on the DML and DiRT list. For those
on the DiRT list that are interested, please email me directly with your
configuration if you want in. If anyone has questions, they can email me
directly, or reply to the list, I will get it either way. Mike Leach did not
have any numbers on what he could offer to us as he has never done a group
purchase before. No one has ever asked him.
    Mike said that he will put together a price list and mail it to me on
what he can offer to us as far as a discount goes. This list will have all
of his part numbers and their applications. He said that it is nearly 5
pages long! I hope to have this within the next week. Everyone must
understand that he can only sell to individuals who are going to use the
headers themselves. He cannot sell to a dealer or part store. This is his
contract with Mopar. I do not know when the purchase will happen, though we
need to be ready to do it once we get the info together on how many people
are interested and what the price will be.

John
98 Dakota (removing unwanted custom body and suspension mods)