re: DML-Performance questions

From: brian duffey (brian.duffey@intelsat.int)
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 07:32:00 EST

        " Question # 2 Does anybody have a full MSD ignition setup on their
DAK. I
was quoted $ 561.00 for the entire setup, how much difference have you
noticed if any? Is it really woth getting??? "

Ohh, boy... here we go with the MSD/Aftermarket ignition debate again!!

Brent - I have a full MSD set up on my DAK ('95/318 - 4x4) - MSD 6AL,
Blaster Coil, MSD Wires - first comment - the $561 cost seems WAY to high.
Maybe if you're getting it installed, but even that seems a little high. My
coil was about $30-35, 6AL $140, Wires about $50. (The 6AL and Coil - bought
on sale - but still - $561?? Shop around.)
        Performance question... general consensus seems to be the gains (ie:
speed) are minimal, the stock ignition is pretty good. I noticed a smoother
idle and better throttle response with my set up, but haven't run at the
track, so an empirical comparison is not possible. I also just upgraded mine
to have some more robust components overall - I run my truck pretty hard,
(O.K. really hard). For part of an overall modification plan, I'd say (down
the road) go with the coil and the 8.5 mm wires. With a '99 Dak, you
shouldn't *need* to upgrade these components yet, of course we all do a lot
to our Daks that we don't *need* to!

Have fun...

Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK
-------------
Original Text
From BJONES22@SMTPGATE {BJones2292@aol.com}, on 17/11/1998 9:12 PM:
To: DAKOTA-T@SMTPGATE {Dakota-truck@buffnet.net}

What are good headers for a 5.2L v8 4x4 , I already have y pipe from my
cat. I am looking to increase my performance and loudness. I have heard
with
the magnum engines they will only increase my loudness , can any one help me
out.

Question # 2 Does anybody have a full MSDN ignition setup on their DAK.
was quoted $ 561.00 for the entire setup, how much difference have you
noticed if any? Is it really woth getting???

Sincerely
Brent Jones
1999 Dak sport 4x4 V8 CC
upgrades so far: Light Bat and bed rail combo, with 4, 7" round
off-road
lights,
Air raid air intake setup, y-pipe straight out from the CAT