Re: Speaker Upgrades

From: Michael Styer (mstyer@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 04:15:17 EST

Just throwing two more pennies into the cookie jar, yes I've got to agree
that Crutchfield's prices are a bit steep. But overall I've found them to
be pretty good for the "novice" car stereo person. My main problem with
Crutchfield though, is that they don't tell you what WILL fit into the
hole. For my 93 CC, they didn't even mention the rear speakers. For the
front it said that I could only fit 5-1/4" speakers. Now I had a pair of
6-1/2's in the garage and a pair of 5-1/4"s in Syracuse, 950 miles away. I
believe my exact thought was, "Dammit, I'll make them fit." :) Low and
behold I took the door panel off and the 6-1/2's replaced the factory
5-1/4's without any modifacation. This experience isn't just with the
beloved Dak o'mine.

Overall though, Crutchfield's decent, unless your into db-"drag racing" or a
true audiophile. Besides, the catalog makes great coffee/bathroom reading
material, right there next to Summit, Jegs, and Victoria's Secret :o)

Mike S.
93 CC Pioneer Premier 35x4 tape deck/ cd changer controler w/ remote and
built in alarm, Premier 6-disc changer, Premier 2-way 6-1/2's up front,
Premier 2-way 5x7's out back