Re: water Pump HELP!!

From: david zavetsky (zavetsky@usaor.net)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 21:54:34 EST

Finally got it loose....

I removed the idler pulley above the water pump pulley and used vice grips
to grab the water pump pulley.....The grips rested against the idler pulley
mount (aluminum!!).....A couple sharp raps broke it free....

Now, just worrying about that damn hose at the top of the pump, leading to
somewhere on the intake, I believe....Left mine inatct...hope the other end
hasnet developed a leak....

At 09:11 AM 11/19/98 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 11/18/98 7:28:12 PM Central Standard Time,
>zavetsky@usaor.net writes:
>
><< I tried leaving the belt on, applying pressure to the tensioner while
>trying
> to remove the nut.....I tried tapping the nut with hammer blows against the
> wrench....Then I removed the pulley bolts and fan bolts but NOTHING can be
> removed till that stinkin nut is free.....
>
> Any ideas?? >>
>
>Here's how I did mine. I took out all but two of the water pump pulley bolts.
>Then inserted a large adjustable wrench (14" I think) and positioned it on the
>fan nut. then with the wrench pointing up and to the pass. side. I put a
>second wrench onto one of the remaining water pump pulley bolts (pointing to
>the drivers side) to keep the pulley from slipping in the belt. A couple of
>good raps on the adjustable wrench with a hammer and it was loose.
>
>A couple of cautions: 1. The water pump pulley bolt is being tightened during
>this procedure, be careful not to damage it. 2. Be very careful with a hammer
>around your fan, a bent fan blade (even a little bit) can cause major
>problems.
>
>Also be certain your turing it the right way. The nut turns the same
>direction that the fan normally turns. Counter-clockwise if you are facing the
>front of the truck.
>
>Richard Lewis
>92 LE CC, 318, Auto

"M ove O ver, P ickup A pproacing R apidly!"
1992 Dakota 4x4, Standard cab, short bed, 5.2 L V8, K&N, Gibson/Dynomax
exhaust,Power Puleys, MP SBEC, 180 degree thermostat, Bushwhackers,
tire/wheel package, Lund Moonvisor & Interceptor, Custom Cover tonneau,
Bundy rear bumper, chrome grillguard/pushbar

see http://www.usaor.net/users/zavetsky for pictures!

MOPAR or NOCAR!