Re: Gary Pinkley's Pictures

From: Ryan Krokosinski (eqgroup@equinoxfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Nov 20 1998 - 08:51:26 EST

I want some prototype pieces too!! : (
When can I get my hands on some of those rear leafs?

Ryan K
'99 R/T RC

Gary Pinkley wrote:

 Okay, it seems my pictures created quite a barrage ofquestions, so this should answer most of your questions. Some of the questions I saw: > Do you think that the wheel offset would handle another 1" drop without> interference up front? > What offsets are you running f/r?  How close are the rear tires to the leaf> springs? > Did you have the stock bumper painted or is that a custom piece?  It> looks great whatever it is > The drop 2/4 or 3/5?  Is that a bumper cover from a durango? I'm running a set of Budnik Mercury Six polished billet wheels.  Thebackspacing is 5.875" on all four corners.  The tires are BFG Comp T/AZR4's 255/50-17.  This combination placed the bulge of the tire evenwith the fenders (no 4x4 flares needed!). I have yet to bottom the wheel out in the fenders, even when making a tightturn while hitting a bump.  The only contact I have had with any parts, waswhen I originally lowered the truck, the stock 15" aluminum wheels hitthe stock swaybar in bump.  Going to 17" cleared that up, but I redesignedthe front bar to clear the stock wheels anyway.  I don't know the clearanceto the leaf springs offhand, but I've never had a problem. The truck is running a prototype suspension made by Hotchkis Performance.(I happen to be the project engineer).  The drop as pictured is a 3/3 drop viacoils in the front and new leafs in the rear.  The front should be a 2" drop, butmy springs were made too short, so I hit the bmp stops over speed bumps.The truck also has wicked bump steer at this height.  It also has our prototypeuprated sway bars.  This suspension/wheel combination handles great.  Iplan on competing in SCCA autocrossing in their truck class. All of the body parts are stock except for the roll pan.  I removed and paintedall of the black trim parts (i.e. handles, mirrors and frt bumper).  The roll panis a street scene with a hidden hitch.  I painted the V-6 emblems and addeda custom viper emblem on the hood.  I've got a home built ram air systemw/ air intake from the passenger side grill area.  The airbox parts are custompieces made by myself.  I am using a K&N cone filter with this setup.  Picsto follow later when I dress them up. Please email me with any other questions.-Gary Pinkley