Tune-up, tires, air-assist, etc.-kinda long

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Sun Nov 22 1998 - 20:16:59 EST

Hello, everyone! I'm sorry that I haven't been chipping in too much
lately. I have been extremely busy lately at work and other things
going on. The last I piped in was to tell everyone about the free GPS
Bridgestone was giving away, and also about having the engine in my '94
replaced by Chrysler for free!!
  Anyway, just thought I'd pitch in a few things....
These new Bridgestone Dueler A/T's are fantastic tires. I just drove
them for the first time the other day in the rain, and they grip so much
better than the Dueler H/T that I took off. The H/T's would sit and
spin on takeoff from a light in the rain, these A/T's bite and go...
They are quiet, and have a nice sidewall style too. I did put a
P235/70R15 on my '92, even though that is just a tad taller than my
factory tire. They rub a tad on the inside if I try to turn real sharp
while going slow with the suspension moving (like going into a parking
lot) Other than that, no problems.
  I am getting ready to do the second tune-up on the '92. I just
ordered the Mopar P-number cap and rotor from the dealer, cost like
$7.00 for both-what a deal! I got champion Truck Plugs-they were
relatively expensive, but I thought I'd give them a try. Tell you
what-they look like a work of art!! I'm having a hard time getting the
nerve to install such a pretty black and gold plug in my motor! My
Bosch rep gave me a free set of Bosch spark plug wires, gotta love
that. I'm doing the tune-up just for maintenance, not to solve any
problems, but if it seems like anything seemed to really pep the truck
up, I'll let you know. My gas mileage has dropped in the last month.
I'll find out now if its from the oxygenated gas that is sold starting
November 1st, or just cause it needed a tune.
  I did a brake job on the '92 a short while ago, and skimped on the
brake pads. Instead of buying a quality set of Bendix or Raybestos, I
got some no name pad for half the price, figuring I may finally buy a
new truck in the Model Year 2000. Boy, that was a mistake (the pads,
not buying the truck!) I cant hardly get this beast to stop! Now the
rotors are warped from trying to haul this thing down from a normal
stop, pisses me off. I did see that Raybestos has a new rotor out-the
picture I saw showed a drilled and slotted rotor-called a "Bruteforce"
Think I'll check it out-you can never have too good of a brake system on
your truck! Man, I wish someone would make a conversion kit to be able
to install Ram pads and rotor on the Dakota's!
  I have been doing a lot of mail order lately with everyone from the
list. Thanks to all who have bought and I hope everyone is more than
satisfied with the product and prices. The latest thing that I have
seen interest on lately is air-assist systems. One good DML'er showed
me that we (Firestone) makes a pretty nice air-bag add on unit. I also
noticed Gary talking about designing one too. I have a manual inflate
air bag system available for a little over $200 bones, plus shipping. I
have seen a lot of racers install rear air bags to minimize rear-end
squat-the bag helps transfer weight. These Firestone's would be great
if you carry a load here and there but dont want to really beef things
up. Blow them up when you need them, and take most of the air out when
you dont... I have been hauling loads of brick lately, and the back of
my truck was sitting loooowwwww!!! I could have used them then.
  Well, that's my updates, and thanks for those who e-mailed to ask my
wife if I had died or something, but no, I've just been working a lot
lately....

Patrick
(Firestone in Baltimore)