[Fwd: header troubles]

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 10:09:05 EST

Russ, if they're like my Mopar headers, they came with a Y-Pipe. This
pipe goes ALL the way to the cat inlets. Measure your exhisting pipe
length and see if the Mopars are longer. If this is so, you'll have to
cut the pipe about 2" in front of the cat and have the Y-Pipes welded to
the cat, clamping won't work. If you must keep the stock Y-Pipe, then
good luck, the clamped joints probably wont come apart with anything
less than an air chisel, even then they won't be undamaged. I did this
install myself, so let me know if I can be any help. Alan S.

attached mail follows:

Well, just as l thought. I am having trouble installing the Mopar Perf
headers. It isn't the headers that are giving me problems, but getting the
old system off. The factory manifolds were VERY easy to remove since only 4
bolts on one side and 5 on the other side were actually tight. I was able to
remove them all with nothing more than a wrench in about 15 min. The trouble
l am having is getting the factory y-pipe to let go of the pipe leading back
to the cat. The instructions say in big bold letters "DO NOT DAMAGE THIS SLIP
FIT!" I have a mechanic friend of mine helping me out. So, even though l am
lost, he knows exactly what he is doing (he has worked motor T for the Corps
for 15 years). We worked on it for about 4 hours trying to get the pipes to
come apart...nothing. Any ideas on what to try? Thanks for the help.

Russ
97 CC 318 4X4