Re: header troubles

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 11:46:01 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Dkota4by4@aol.com <Dkota4by4@aol.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Monday, November 23, 1998 6:37 AM
Subject: DML: header troubles

>Well, just as l thought. I am having trouble installing the Mopar Perf
>headers. It isn't the headers that are giving me problems, but getting the
>old system off. The factory manifolds were VERY easy to remove since only
4
>bolts on one side and 5 on the other side were actually tight. I was able
>remove them all with nothing more than a wrench in about 15 min. The
trouble
>l am having is getting the factory y-pipe to let go of the pipe leading
back
>to the cat. The instructions say in big bold letters "DO NOT DAMAGE THIS
SLIP
>FIT!" I have a mechanic friend of mine helping me out. So, even though l
am
>lost, he knows exactly what he is doing (he has worked motor T for the
Corps
>for 15 years). We worked on it for about 4 hours trying to get the pipes
>come apart...nothing. Any ideas on what to try? Thanks for the help.
>
>Russ
>97 CC 318 4X4

By my calculations, you have an hour to go (it took me 5 hours!)... On my
'95
I took out the O2 Sensor (which is right before the pressed fit area on my
'95),
took a torch and cut a hold opposite the O2 sensor hole, and put a drift
through the
two holes. I then took a soft faced hammer, and hammered the left side of
the
drift, then the right side. Left, right, left right... sprayed WD40 in the
joint where the
Chrysler guys crimped the darn pipe via the U-bolt... Eventually it moved
1/16th
of a inch, then it moved a bit more, etc... Finally moved the last 1/4"
about 30 minutes
later!!! But it will come apart... You'll be sore as hell, but you'll do
it.

Sam '95 SLT "Been there, done that:"