Problem with '99 R/T heater cores?

From: Scott Currier (SCURRIER@ocv.com)
Date: Tue Nov 24 1998 - 16:34:36 EST

for two of those. Within the first day of driving the truck the heater core
blew out. The dealer (and the Chrysler 800 number support folks) claimed I
was nuts to think the heater core was bad, and that all I was smelling was
the "Special Coating" Chrysler uses on their new heater cores. Since I
didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday, I screamed and bitched and
screamed some more until the dealer relented and tore down the dash (don't
even get me started on what threats it took to get a loaner car). Sure
enough they found a blown out heater core. It took them a week to get a new
core and clean up the mess. Now a few days later the anti-freeze smell is
back with a vengence, and the dealer (and the chrysler 800 folks) are saying
the same thing, that I'm smelling the "Special Coating." The truck goes
back for visit number 4 on Monday for another tear down (it always takes at
least a week to even get an appointment).

        Has anyone else been having this problem, and is anyone else getting
the run-around from those slackers at Chrysler? I've been a Mopar nut for
many years, but the way I'm being treated (and the dependability of my new
truck) has me seriously questioning this company, their products and their
so-called "Five-Star Dealers." Get this, one of the 800 number folks at
Chrysler had the nerve to tell me (and I quote) "We have to support the
dealers diagnosis, it is Chrysler policy to never trust the customer sir."
sheesh! Walter's got to be spinnin' in his grave.

        Scott Currier
        '99 RT/CC Deep Amethyst