RE: Problem with '99 R/T heater cores?

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 07:59:04 EST

Scott,
I do not think your problem is restricted to R/T's. The heater core in my 98
Dak blew out within a week of me taking delivery. I was pretty sure that
what I was smelling was coolant, as I had just replaced the heater core in
my 88 GTA a of couple weeks before. I had all of the classic signs, except
no leakage I could find. Then one day about 2 weeks later, it blew ad blew
big. I was passing someone and all of a sudden, the entire cab filled with
fog and I looked at the passenger floor mat which was very quickly getting
soaked. I found that the leak in my heater core was pressure sensitive as
the fog only happened when I was gittin on it. My dealer gave me no grief at
all except for the normal "So what makes you think it is the heater core?"
with a look in their eyes like I have no clue what a heater core even is.
Once I told them fog in the cab, he checked the stock room and guess what
they found. A heater core for a 97+ Dakota. Amazing.
John
98 Dakota (removing unwanted custom body and suspension mods)

<snip>
Within the first day of driving the truck the heater core
blew out. The dealer (and the Chrysler 800 number support folks) claimed I
was nuts to think the heater core was bad, and that all I was smelling was
the "Special Coating" Chrysler uses on their new heater cores. Since I
didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday, I screamed and bitched and
screamed some more until the dealer relented and tore down the dash (don't
even get me started on what threats it took to get a loaner car). Sure
enough they found a blown out heater core. It took them a week to get a new
core and clean up the mess. Now a few days later the anti-freeze smell is
back with a vengence, and the dealer (and the chrysler 800 folks) are saying
the same thing, that I'm smelling the "Special Coating." The truck goes
back for visit number 4 on Monday for another tear down (it always takes at
least a week to even get an appointment).
<unsnip>