Re: Toronto DML Meet (kinda long)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 24 1998 - 23:24:45 EST

At 05:53 PM 11/24/98 -0500, Norah wrote:
>Hi Jon,
>Jon Steiger wrote:
>It sure was nice to meet everyone. I was just sorry that the weather
>wasn't warm enough for us to stay outside longer. Funny thing was that
>yesterday the temp here was 14 C (57 F), sunny, and calm. These weather
>guys seem to be as unrealiable as the weather itself! :)

  Yep! The day before and the day after the meet were nice and warm!! :-)
Maybe it's just us... Who knows what sort of strange atmospheric effects
putting 5 Dakotas in the same place might have? :-) ("A chill came over
the city as the DML'ers rumbled through town...") ;-)

>> After that, it was back outside for a quick nicotine fix then across
>> to the Playdium, which was a really fun time. :-) I was fairly decent at
>> the Harley Davidson street racing game, but I sucked at most everything else
>> I tried. :-) I tried to enter "DML" in the high score box, but I ran
out of
>> time, so its just "D ". :-P
>
>It's too bad that you didn't make it back to the Indy Cars in time to
>race with us. It was kind of ironic that there were 8 of us and exactly

  Yeah, that was a bummer. :-P It was that Randy's fault... He said I
had plenty of time. ;-) (Just kidding, FonMan!) :-)

>eight cars. Eddie won that race. I hate to spill the beans here, but
>when you and Eddie raced the Indy cars again, I couldn't help but notice
>that you were both beat by a kid around 9 or 10. Hey, you never know
>though, he may have been Jacques Villeneuve's son or somthing?

    Sure, rub it in! :-) Its been my experience that a game or
simulation is usually a lot harder than the real thing. Lack of sensory
input, I guess. There was a stretch there when I couldn't land a plane in
MS Flight Simulator to save my life, but the real thing is a breeze...
What I want to know is where was the Dak simulator? :-)

>> We sort've split up into smaller groups,
>> merged back together, and split up again the entire time. After a
successful
>> search for Randy's AWOL pager in the virtual roller coaster, we packed it up
>> and headed back out to the parking lot.
>
>Did you notice that both Eddie and Randy seemed a little unsteady when
>they got out of that thing? They're a lot braver than I am :)

    Yep, me too! Actually, I was already a little queazy just from staring
at the screens and stuff; I definitely didn't want to risk a ride in that
thing! (Especially for the sake of whoever would have been riding in the
other seat... Having the DML admin hurl on you is not the sort of memory I
wanted anyone to bring home from this thing! :-)

>> Bob and his son had to take off then,
>> but the rest of us headed out to Jack Astors for some lunch. After a short
>> detour (and some off-road showboating by Jason and Norah) ;-) we were there.
>
>Well..... we were the only 4x4 in the group? After listening to your
>Dak (BTW, sounds like a dream),

   Thanks. :-)

> seeing Bob's red rocket (check out the
>underside of his hood and his wheels if they're in any pics), Randy's

   I think you've got the hood one. (Didja get them developed yet?) :-)

>black beauty that was much lower than ours, and Eddies blue road demon,
>we had to do something. BTW Jon, get me a recording of that music that
>eminates from your Dak so I can place a small speaker under my Dak
>(hehehe). I'd love to have that sound, but my Dak's only leased for now
>and I can't do any major mods. I can't break down and actually buy a
>Dak, as I seem to always want a newer one when the lease is up.

  You could always do like Eddie and carry around your stock parts in
the bed... ;-)

>> Speaking of which, Eddie, I forgot to let you drive my truck over! :-(
Next
>> time we get together, remind me; you're more than welcome to drive it. We
>> had a great lunch, and everyone signed the paper "tablecloth" which is
>> now hanging on the wall of my home office. :-) When we left the
>> restauraunt, we spent some more time hanging out in a chilly parking lot,
>> took some more pictures, everyone took the opportunity to ask what was
>> going on with the stickers ;-) then we said our goodbyes and headed home.
>
>Jon, you really should scan the tablecoth and put it on the page. That

  The scan didn't come out too well (maybe I'll try again later) but I did
take a picture of it and scanned that...

>> The worst part about the whole thing was going home... As I was driving
>> away, I got this sinking feeling in my stomach like I just lost my
>> best friend or something. After a 2 1/4 hour drive home, I was
>> happy to be off the highway, but I would have gladly jumped back in the
>> truck and drove another 5 hours round trip just for another hour of
>> the DML meet. :-) We're definitely going to have to do this again!!
>
>YES!! YES!! YES!! Let's do it again. Jason and I were talking about
>maybe a Group DML camping trip up into Algonquin. Don't worry about
>your non-4x4's, we'll stay on safe roads. :) There's always the Mopar
>Spring Fling that Bob promised to look into as well. You're just going
>to have to save some vacation time Jon and come on up here. You're
>welcome up here anytime you'd like, even if it's not an official DML
>gathering and you just want to get away. :)

  Thanks! :-)

   Hmmm, a camping trip, eh? That sounds like it could be a lot of fun!
Anyone else up for that? I bet we could get some great group photos
up there with some nice background scenery. :-) I camp out at Oshkosh
every year so I've got a huge tent and a few supplies... Lets wait until
it warms up though! They already think we're crazy; if we try to camp
out in this weather, who knows what they'll say? ;-)

>> I had a thought as I was heading home; it might be neat to get a
>> DML group picture at the top of the CN tower... Maybe at a future
>> Toronto DML meet? :-)
>
>Sounds good to me, the only problem is trying to find parking down
>there. Truly an adventure!!!

   No problem for your 4x4 though... ;-) I didn't know about the
parking situation; I'm not sure if I've ever been there. I have been
up in a tower like that, but I think it was just the Skylon tower
in Niagra Falls. (It was many years ago...)

>> I've already got my pictures developed and scanned in. I'm about
>> to create a page so everyone can check out the Toronto meet.
>> Unfortunately for me, eveyone else there is a heck of a lot more
>> photogenic than I am. Oh well, I guess I'll post 'em anyway. :-) I
>> believe Norah and Jason have some pics too that they're going to send
>> me to scan for the page. Norah: I'm such a doofus... I didn't think of
>> this at the time, but I should have just taken your film home with me,
>> then I could have gotten all the pics developed at once! Doh!
>
>We thought about giving you the roll as well, but we couldn't as there
>were a few wedding pictures on there as well.

   Ahh, ok. Well, I guess that makes me feel a little better. :-) By
the way, I'd be more than happy to mail them back to you after I've scanned
them in, so you won't have to worry about getting doubles or anything.

>> If you've got a few DMLers in your area, I highly recommend getting
>> together! Its a LOT of fun! We spent about 5.5-6 hours together, but
>> to me it felt like half an hour; it was over too quickly. I can hardly
>> wait for the next one!!!
>
>Then let's do it!

  I'm there! :-)

                                               -Jon-