Kelly Blue Book and Used Vehicle Mark Up

From: Dave Rench (renchd@krause.com)
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 18:05:05 EST

Since we are on the topic of the Kelly Blue Book, go to the site and put in
your vehicle as though you were selling it (trading it in) and as though
you were buying and take a look at the difference in the numbers you get
for the same vehicle. I expected a mark up, but on the examples I tried it
was pretty huge! I personally don't put a lot of faith in the numbers I
get from this page. I think anybody who would accept the "trade in" value
given is selling themselves and their vehicle short. Likewise, paying the
retail dealer price is akin to paying suggested retail on a new vehicle,
you just don't do it unless it is a real unusual situation.

It is an eye opening experience and I'm sure many people take the values as
gospel. Anybody got an R/T they want to sell at "trade in" value? 8 ^ )

Dave Rench
Krause Publications
http://www.krause.com