Re: MPG on the R/T (w/93 octane?)

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 21:25:42 EST

I run 85 octane in my '98 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 AT 5.9L- lately I have noticed
pinging at part throttle when warmed up... started right about the time
Colorado switched to Green fuel (oxygenated w/ 10% ethanol)...My milage was
down to 13.5 or so from the 15 I normally get...

Then I noticed that the gas was cheaper out in Penrose (near my house) and
discovered that in Fremont County, they don't run the Oxygenated crap... now
I'm back to 15mpg, and the pinging went away.. just another advantage to
living in the country, I guess...

Gary Shook

p.s. 85 octane is NOT a typo... that's base fuel here in Colorado (above
5000') altitude reduces octane requirements... and power :-(