Re: K&N Filter stuff

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 00:53:05 EST

K&N Filters... Make sure you keep them oiled once you clean them
It could be DEADLY to your engine. I had a guy do a 'tuneup' on my
motorcycle (oil change, tighten spokes, etc.) and the guy thought
he would do me a 'Favor' by cleaning my air filter... Little did I know that
the guy didn't reoil it. 1500 miles later, I brought the bike in for a
compression test (as I had it re-ringed 3000 miles back), and power
was way down. 90 psi vs. 150-160 psi (what it should have been).

The cylinder walls looked like a drilling rig had scored the edges of
granite...aka took a lot of sand/dust right into the engine.

Now, a new service center, and $1500 poorer I make sure that the
filter is oiled (all the time)...

On the OPPOSITE side of things, we 'de-oil' K&N filters in jetskis, because
if you get an oiled K&N wet, it will take FOREVER to get the water out of
the
oil soaked filter, and your ski will run like crap until it drys. A K&N,
de-oiled
in a jetski only protects you from picking up debris bigger than a 'bug',
and
that's about it.

Sam '95 SLT