RE: Auto Trans Shift Problems?

From: Bill Fleming (BillF@lantech.com)
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 10:16:35 EST

You gus are so considerate!

By the way, I have another problem! Don't guess you've ever heard that one
before, huh?

'89 Dak 3.9, auto trans (trans supposedly new in the past 8 months to a
year)

When driving at normal cruising speed, whatever that is, if I accellerate
rapidly the trans seems to kick in to 1st gear and the tach indicates about
4000 to 4500 before it will shift into second and then the shift to third is
almost immediate. More often than not the only way I can get it to upshift
at all is to ease off the gas pedal. When driving in hilly country if I
start up a fairly steep incline, I would normally expect the trans to shift
to second to maintain torque, not so. It always downshifts to first gear
then we have to go through the same procedure again, rev it up to about 4 to
4.5 grand and back off the gas to get it to upshift. This is not good when
entering an Interstate with a big rig on your bumper. It does, however
satisfy my sense of adventure. Although, there are times when I appreciate
adventure other times when dull and boring would be just fine!

Bill F.